To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” – Revelation 3:14-22
In the previous post, I explained the message Christ’s angel – through the Apostle John – had for the angel of the congregation in Philadelphia.
The Philadelphian congregation received great praise from its Master Jesus Christ for its faithfulness displayed throughout Satan’s Beastly system of government that is yet to come, in spite of having little strength.
I explained that Jesus Christ alone holds the Key of David; that is, he is heir to the covenant God made with his human forefather David for a kingdom, which Jesus has not received yet. (Isaiah 22:20-22)
The Most High God – the Giver of the Key of David – gives it to whom he chooses and approves. He gives the key to His Son, Jesus Christ. The Key of David shows that Jesus will be entrusted with the oversight of the things of his Father. He will be given full authority and power to grant entry (open) into God’s Kingdom or deny (close) entry into God’s kingdom when it comes down to the earth in future days.
It must be remembered that Jesus is the “Lord of the Sabbath.” He is the appointed finisher of the “Seventh Day” in which God proceeded to rest from. (Matthew 12:8)
Jesus had stated at John 4:34 …
My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.
All of us are a part of that finishing. Our Master will refine and finish us and restore us to our Creator. One day – on earth – we all will be as Adam was: perfect. Able to converse with our Creator one-to-one without the need of a mediator. What need would there be for a mediator if we are perfect? Did Adam have a mediator? No!
What stumbles so many today is that they fail to see the much bigger picture as to why Jesus was dispatched and implanted into the world of mankind. Not only to save mankind from perishing but to finish the Seventh Day in which God proceeded to rest on.
Note: Dying and perishing are two different things. Perishing is ceasing to exist and there is no resurrection. Those who die can be resurrected.
As previously stated, Jesus was also sent to finish His Father’s work. We are a very large part of that finishing. At present, we are an absolute mess. Even those persons who claim they are followers of Christ! Any thinking person can see that there is something wrong. We are broken and in need of repair. Christ will repair us. This repairing does not start until his yet-to-come 1000-year kingdom begins. The final repair or finishing of us occurs at the end of his 1000-year kingdom. Then Satan is released upon us to “stress-test” those repairs. Satan will throw everything at us in those days to break us again.
I now turn attention to the message to the last congregation Christ’s angel has -through John – to the angel of the congregation in Laodicea.
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. – Revelation 3:14
It is interesting that we are told that Jesus Christ is “The Amen.” That is, through him, God speaks. God speaks through no other. Jesus Christ is the final, the one and only one God speaks through today. (John 14:6; Luke 9:35)
We learn that Jesus is the “faithful and true witness.” Of what? That God is the One that God sent him. That he is witness that God is true and will do as He says He will do. That God is the “I am.” (Remember what God told Moses?) From the time he was dispatched out of heaven to become a man to the time he ascended back to the place he came from, he never broke faithfulness to his Father in heaven. He was faithful even to the death in championing and doing his Fathers will.
Also, we learn something very interesting about Jesus himself that many who insist that Jesus is God need to take note of. We learn that Jesus is “the ruler of God’s creation.”
Not that he is God, but that he is the ruler of what God has created! And, as I stated earlier, Jesus is the “Lord of the Sabbath” and the finisher of God’s creation. (John 4:34)
It is interesting how The King James version renders Revelation 3:14. It says …
And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
It says that Jesus is “The beginning of the creation of God.” That means that Jesus was the first entity created by God! Therefore, being created by God means that he had a beginning. God is eternal, He had no beginning and has no end!
The Apostle Paul at Col 1:15 confirms what is stated at Revelation 3:14 with regards Jesus being the firstborn of God’s creation.
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. – Col 1:15
God used his firstborn to create everything else. (John 1:3; Col 1:16; 1 Cor 8:6)
I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! – Revelation 3:15
Jesus also assures the angel of the congregation in Laodicea that he knows their deeds. Recall that he said the same thing with regards the angels of the congregations in Philadelphia, Sardis, Thyatira, and Ephesus. With regards the angels of the congregations of Smyrna and Pergamum, he knows what they are going through.
So, it is apparent here that before his 1000-year kingdom had ended, he left his household with instructions as to what they are to be doing while he was no longer with them.
It is reasonable to assume that the angels of the congregations of Smyrna and Pergamum received the same instruction as the other angels of the congregations.
Note: It should be understood that when Christ’s 1000-year kingdom ends, there will be 144,000 chosen human Heirs to his Kingdom. These persons – as you will see as I progress through the Revelation discussion – will have served with Christ as Kings and Priests for the 1000 years. (Christ being their Ruler). These Kings of the Earth have not arrived yet because Christ’s kingdom is far into the future, but certain to come. These are the ones Jesus spoke of when he was on earth as “inheriting the earth.” (Matthew 5:5; See Psalms 37:11; Revelation 1:6; Revelation 5:10; Revelation 20:6)
You will be shown that they are referred to in The Book of Revelation as “Kings of the Earth.” (Rev 1:5; Rev 5:10; Rev 6:15; Rev 16:14; Rev 17:2; Rev 17:18; Rev 18:3; Rev 18:9; Rev 19:19; and Rev 21:24.
Please keep in mind that all that I am presenting to you in this entire discussion has not occurred yet. So, please do not be confused if it appears that I am writing as if they have. I am simply portraying the events of The Book of Revelation as they will unfold after Christ’s kingdom ends.
Moving on …
Yet, here at Revelation 3:15, he assures the angel of the congregation that he knows its deeds. Their deeds are not stellar. In fact, the angel of the congregation in Laodicea plays it safe. It is walking the fence.
That this and all of Christ’s household – The Seven Congregations – are residing within Satan’s Throne where the Beast is in full force, the angel of the congregation Laodicea appears to hang in the shadows and does not want to draw attention to itself as belonging to Christ! Because if the Beast (Satan’s Government over mankind in those days) and its supporters (worshipers) suspect that any member of a particular congregation is not for the Beast and its image, they will be reported to the authority and things will not go well for them.
Jesus prefers that they be either hot or cold, but not wishy-washy and lukewarm.
Note: It is my belief that what identifies one as belonging to a particular congregation is their faithfulness, endurance, and steadfastness to God and Christ throughout the duration of Satan’s throne to the end. I do not believe that individuals will be summarily appointed to a particular congregation. It is possible, however. It is my resolve – and hope – that my faithfulness, endurance, and steadfastness will identify me as a Philadelphian.
So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. – Revelation 3:16
Because the angel of the congregation in Laodicea is neither hot or cold, Jesus will spit them out of his mouth. What does this mean?
It means that their deeds are unacceptable and thus rejected by Christ and they fall short in having anything of value of granting them entry into His Father’s Kingdom when it comes down to the earth. This congregation is in trouble because it has nothing of value that it can offer as a sacrifice for entry into God’s Everlasting Kingdom. The door is closed to them, unless …
You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. – Revelation 3:17
The angel of the congregation in Laodicea thinks it is in good-standing with God and Christ. It is under the delusion that it is spiritually rich because of its “lukewarm” deeds. It is convinced that it has satisfied Christ’s requirements and followed his instructions.
Yet, Christ – through his angel to John – tells the angel of of the congregation in Laodicea that it is in a wretched state. That they are pitiful, poor, blind, and naked. They do not look good. They look like nothing representative of something belonging to Christ’s household. They are pitiful and poor and have nothing of value that can be used to grant them entry into God’s Kingdom!
They are also blind; not in a literal sense, but in a spiritual sense. Recall the discussion Jesus had with the Pharisee Nicodemus at John Chapter 3. At John 3:3 Jesus told Nicodemus …
Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again. John 3:3
If the angel of the congregation in Laodicea is blind, then it cannot see the kingdom of God. In other words, it will have deviated off of the path or road that Jesus placed them upon: The road that leads to everlasting life. It is on another road. If the angel of the congregation in Laodicea cannot see that it has deviated off the path, then it will never get to the door that opens up to entry into God’s kingdom. (Matthew 7:13-14)
If the angel cannot see that it is on the wrong road, it cannot enter into God’s Kingdom because the road they are on does not lead them to it. It leads to destruction.
That the angel of the congregation in Laodicea is naked means that its appearance has changed. The pure white clothing it once wore – in a spiritual sense – no longer covers them. They have dabbled in Satan’s throne and has its stench upon them. They are shameful in appearance to Christ. It had deviated off course and hob-nobs with those within Satan’s Beast. Playing the field to survive. Neither faithful or unfaithful. to God and Christ and neither for or against Satan’s Beast. Their actions and words expose them as naked and without the covering befitting and identifying them as a true members of the household of Christ.
I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. – Revelation 3:18
Jesus gives counsel to the angel of the congregation in Laodicea. Since they are wretched, poor, and naked, and pitiful. and blind and have nothing of value, it now has to exert itself to return to the things he taught them and commanded them to do and get back on that road that leads to life. It will not be easy for them.
In other words, it is not too late for this congregation to receive Christ’s favor so as to buy from him those things that they will need in order to become spiritually rich and cover their shameful and naked state so that their Master can look upon them. They will need to buy eye salve to see the road in which they deviated off of and to see afar what is at the end of that road, God’s Kingdom.
So this congregation will go through a period of getting off the fence and taking a stand for God’s Kingdom and thoroughly rejecting Satan’s Beast. This will, no doubt, bring hardship to those in this congregation who return to Christ. Many will be persecuted, betrayed, brought before the Beastly authorities and punished for their stand. These will be the sacrifices that are like valuable gold that are acceptable to the Master Christ Jesus because such sacrifices mark those individuals as repentant and faithful ones.
Jesus has gold for purchasing. This is not literal goad but something that represents something that is everlasting and does not rust. The angel of the congregation in Laodicea thought it was rich. It was accumulating “treasures” that had no value. Those treasures looked good but were worthless in the eyes of the Lord. They had no lasting value. Those treasures could be corrupted and used to corrupt others. Those beautiful treasures were attractive to those “fence-sitters” and would entice them to become thieves. That is, take what Christ had taught and given it (power and authority) and ascribe and give those things over to Satan and his Beast. (Revelation 17:13)
Jesus taught at Matthew 6:19-20 …
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. – Revelation 3:19-20
Here at Revelation 3:19, Jesus assures the angel of the congregation in Laodicea that he rebukes and disciplines those whom he loves.
Those? Keep in mind that The Apostle John is writing to the angel of the congregation in Laodciea. This helps the reader understand that the angel of the congregations are humans. Angels in heaven require no rebuking or discipline.
Yet, Jesus advises this angel to display and practice more conviction and repent! That is, feel sincere regret for their former actions and change course. Get off of the fence!
If they do, then look, Jesus stands ready “at the door” knocking. In other words, if this deviant congregation “hears Jesus voice – that is, his instruction – and opens the door to receive his instruction, he will come in and eat “with that person” and they with him!
Permit me to elaborate on this further. It should be noted that the angel of the congregation in Laodicea does not have an open door set before them that grants them entry into God’s Kingdom as the angel of the congregation in Philadelphia has.
This congregation has work to do. It has to return to the things it was formerly instructed to do and get back on track. It must get off the fence. It must repent, prove, and earn Christ’s favor again.
The angel of the congregation in Laodicea reaches the end of the road. But there is no open door! But someone is heard knocking on the other side. Who? Christ Jesus!
The angel of the congregation in Laodicea must exert itself to take action. What? Opening that door, inviting (accepting) Christ’s instruction (listening to his voice), accept his discipline and repent.
It is not that the angel of the congregation in Laodicea enters into God’s Kingdom at this point, but they open the door, invite Christ into them and listen and obey him. But before they are granted entry, they must prove themselves worthy of entry. That Christ eats with them shows a close relationship ensues. We normally do not invite strangers into our homes and eat with them, do we?
Notice here at Revelation 3:20 the word, person! This shows that the angels of the congregations are persons – humans!
That Jesus comes into where they are not mean that they will literally see him, but rather by means of the Holy Spirit they will receive further instruction – eat the fruit of his lips (words) – and learn what is required of them to have that door opened so that they are granted entry into God’s Kingdom. (Isaiah 57:19)
Had the angel of the congregation not been on the fence and followed the example of the angel of the congregation in Philadelphia, none of this would be necessary for the angel of the congregation in Laodicea.
To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. – Revelation 3:21-22
Jesus speaks of victory. In those future days, all within Christ’s household will be tested – as if by fire – for their faithfulness to him and their Father in heaven.
At present, the entire world of mankind is completely oblivious to what is yet to come within our day and are totally blind with regards the future worlds that must come and go before God’s Kingdom comes down.
Let me give you a quick breakdown:
- The present world in which we live will end. All governments are gone. Humanity will die (not perish, however) This will catch the entire world by surprise and will be unexpected. Animals, birds, and aquatic life will remain. The time period we live in now is not The Last Days, but is “The Appointed Times of the Nations” or “Times of the Gentiles.” This is the time period allowed for the nations of the world to do as they please; to govern themselves without Divine or Satanic interference. Mankind has proven itself a failure in governance. Today, there is no “The Devil made me do it.” Mankind alone is responsible for the crimes and atrocities committed on each other. (Luke 21:24)
- The sign seen in heaven as mentioned at Matthew 24:30 (Also see Revelation 12:1-9) will have fulfillment. That sign is the coronation of Christ as King over the earth. This signals his return as King over the earth for 1000-years. It begins.
- Satan and his angels are ousted out of heaven and Abyssed for 1000-years so that he/they are unable to interfere with Christ’s administration over the earth. (Revelation 12:7-9)
- Christ died so that mankind will not perish (cease to exist). He did not give up his life so that we would not die. People are dying today are they not? Those who perish cannot be resurrected. Why? They do not exist! Dead persons can be resurrected because they exist as dead souls. Adam was a dead soul until God breathed into his nostrils and then he became a living soul. In keeping to what Jesus gave his life up for, he commences with the resurrection of all of mankind from all periods of time. Yes, those times periods that passed over the earth that preceded him as far back as Adam. Adam will have a resurrection. Why? Because he died. He did not perish. (Genesis 5:5) The resurrection will occur in stages. Those who died last among the human family throughout its existence will be the first ones to be resurrected. Those who died first will be the last ones to be resurrected. For example, I will be resurrected before Adam. Adam will be the last one to receive a resurrection. Thus, when the great resurrection is complete, we will all see our human Father and Mother (Eve) and they will see what came from them! (John 5:28-29, Matthew 20:16)
- All of mankind through various stages will go through a period of instruction, refinement, and finishing within Christ’s 1000-year kingdom. Christ’s work with us will be completed by the end of his 1000-year kingdom over the earth. All of us will be restored to our Creator. Fully knowledgeable because we will be taught by Christ. We will be as Adam, perfect. No one during that time period of 1000-years will doubt what had occurred. They will know that they were dead but miraculously alive again. But they will somehow know who it was the brought them back to life even though billions never heard of him. They will “hear his voice” and come out of their graves.”
- Christ’s 1000-year kingdom ends. Christ’s Heirs to his kingdom – 144,000 persons – receive their inheritance, the earth. Just like Adam was given dominion over the earth and the things in it, so will 144,000 persons chosen by Christ. Their job is to continue to administer the things in the earth (all of the nations of people) as Christ would. They will have already proven themselves worthy and capable as they will have served with Christ as Kings and Priest during his 1000-year kingdom. They will have had a special relationship with Christ. And, as Priest, granted entry – in a spiritual way – into the Holy Place those not a part of that group will not have access to. These persons – as you will see later – make up the angels assigned to the Seven Congregations. Satan is released.
- At his releasing after 1000-years of imprisonment, Satan sees a situation on the earth that resembles the situation in Genesis. Adam was a perfect man. In future, Satan sees a perfect human society. Like Adam, a time span transpired where the Serpent did not bother him. It was only later when the woman – Eve – came on the scene did Satan commenced with his deception and lies. You will see another woman as I take you through “The Revelation” who will play an instrumental part in Satan’s plan to deceive the world after Christ’s Kingdom ends. Like Adam – who was not deceived – this woman will “eat” what the Serpent gives her. This “eating” is the eating and accepting of false knowledge and lies. She, in turn, will gradually and subtly use her charms and influence to coax the faithful ones to drink from her intoxication cup of lies. Satan sets up a world government administered by humans. (He himself remains hidden). That government is called “The Beast.” Satan, the Dragon, gives it his power, his great authority, and his throne. (Rev 13:2) It will be something to behold. Beautiful like a diamond. Offering safety and security to all supporting it.
- Through his Beast and False Prophet, the majority of that future world will be deceived (lied to). Deceived for what end? To resist what Satan knows his coming: God’s Kingdom. The contention will be over ownership of the earth and mankind. Satan wants them and he wants to be worshiped as God! So, he gives the billions of the inhabitants on the earth in those days something difficult to resist: Peace, safety, prosperity, and security. To what end? To resist what is sure to come down out of heaven that will replace what Satan will have set up on the earth: God’s Kingdom. Satan will prepare the inhabitants in the earth in those days to resist what will come down. The people will believe The Beast invincible. (Rev 13:5)
- A message will be proclaimed to that future world that will shake it up and disturb its peaceful and secure flow. An angel will proclaim a message called The Good News of the Kingdom to all of that world that the earth belongs to God. He created it. That message will permeate throughout the earth in those future days and cause some to withdraw their support from Satan’s Beast. (Rev 14:6)
- As a result of that angelic proclamation, Satan’s Beast turns up the pressure on those who refuse to support it. It will not be easy for those persons. The love once given them by their Brethren turns into hate and they will be betrayed and turned over to the Beastly authority.
- As the years’ of Satan’s Beast progress on (perhaps many hundreds of years), things will wax worse for those faithful to Christ. This is the period of what is called The Great Tribulation
(Great Tests or Trials) for those faithful to Christ. The time period of the Great Tribulation will be for many years.
- The last part of The Great Tribulation is the gathering of all of the faithful ones into a place called Armageddon for their protection. Armageddon is not a world war. It is not a war! It is a gathering place of protection for Christ’s faithful ones as God and Christ destroys Satan, his Beast, the False Prophet, and all of the enemies and persecutors of Christ’s faithful servants who will have encamped them. (Rev 16:16)
- Satan, his angels, his Beast, his False Prophet are all destroyed outside of the place they have all been lured to, Armageddon.
- God’s Kingdom comes down.
I will get very deep into the events mentioned above as I progress on with the Revelation discussion. You will see that the pieces fit perfectly. You will also see that all of the discussions found in the various literary works, YouTube, and taught within the religious systems of this world with regards “The Book of Revelation” have been and are in error.
This concludes the messages John is to write to the angels of the Seven Congregations.
The messages to the angels of the Seven Congregations are important because the activity for what is to come will be on the earth where the congregations will be. It is critical that the angels of those congregations hear what The Spirit (God) – through his Son – tells them. It will mean an open door into God’s Kingdom when it comes down or a closed door. Those who read aloud the Revelation will be blessed. The reference to “reading aloud” means that one is not ashamed of the Author of the Revelation and the one it is given to. Reading aloud the Revelation also means that one believes it wholeheartedly. Reading aloud the Revelation means that when the pressure comes one will not lower one’s voice and not speak of it out of fear of what men and authorities can – and will – do to them on account of their stand for Christ in those future days.
Next, John’s attention – for an instant – is taken away from the earth and to heaven.